General

Our Society was an informal online initiative during 2011 to help people share ideas about local action. This ideas platform was one activity.

I suggest we ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Develop the Gift Economy for Community Programmes

Sounds strange? Not really. Volunteering is built on this. Read on!! Cash will be almost non-existent for the next five years or so. FreeCycle + TimeBank could be the basis: But trade time, skills, expertise, project outputs, office space and equipment. eBay style 'reputation' tells who 'gives' most so the more your give, you more people want to give to you. It's not taxable, keeps skills within communities and makes the money go furthest.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      3 comments  ·  Economy  ·  Admin →
    • Create a Pledge Pot

Many of us have issues within our communities which are un(der)funded, and yet we are passionate about them and can see the socio-economic benefits they would bring if money was available. My issue is broadband. As a business, it is costing me money to not have it. Alone, I can not invest enough to make it happen but with my neighbours, potentially we can raise money to matchfund, borrow etc.

My idea would be a website with a simple backend database to harvest data such as name, address, amount, Parish, email.

Front end would show a map of each parish…

15 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        You have left! (?) (thinking…)
        5 comments  ·  Economy  ·  Admin →
      • Develop a people-centered framework for local economic development

This approach is based upon the concept of an people-centered form of capitalism which redefines profit in human terms. Going further than a "community investment" company, it advocates business focussed on people and their needs with the neediest having first priority.

Profit making business investing in CDFIs provides funds for seed funding both social enterprise and conventional micro business at the local level.

Once considered radical, it has recently entered the world of mainstream economic thinking when Harvard began advocating the creation of shared value.

A earlier proposal to propagate this approach across the UK may be found at this…

6 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)