I suggest we ...

Build a library of standard stuff we all ask about and need to know

We often get asked technical questions about how to use Twitter or set up a Facebook page. Communities may get asked about Volunteer Policies or need standard H&S training. Create a reference library and don't reinvent the wheel!

19 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    watfordgapwatfordgap shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • watfordgapwatfordgap commented  · 

Stuart / Phil - Yes - The key to this is user generated and peer reviewed content. Big Society (and Big Org) can be seen as top down with ideas and toolkits being developed by a few for all. Whilst this *can* work if the material is right and *does* need a national body to disseminate what is better are resources developed by local community organisations and shared for all to access, download and commnet on if they find them useful. The "national org" or the single portal then becomes just the vehicle for serving the content not the reason to exisit itself.

• Phil GreenPhil Green commented  · 

Potentially related to 'build an online user-created resource hub'? Both mention not reinventing the wheel. Standard stuff could be given prominence in something wider inclusive of both?

• Stuart ParkerStuart Parker commented  · 

Quick access to stuff like this will be very handy. We need resources to be easy to understand so they're usable by all. One page guides?

• Tim DaviesTim Davies commented  · 

Interestingly, the Delft Library Concept Centre I had the pleasure of visiting t Easter last year has a 'Media Bar' in the library where someone is on hand to help with question on all things Facebook, Twitter, video recording etc. and more.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shifted/2341586457/in/set-72157604142377648/

Perhaps a bit of mapping of what's already in the local library, and encouraging the inclusion of the missing bits might make for a good approach...

(In terms of making answers to the standard questions available online though - I wonder if one route is not to create a library as a destination - but to create a 'library in a box' which infrastructure and support organisations can easily embed on their own websites)

• John PophamJohn Popham commented  · 

Or maybe just build a library. Or, is that too radical?

Feedback and Knowledge Base