I suggest we ...

let citizens assess public services - eBay style performance management

we could design a system which lets people rate public services as is used on Amazon, eBay, TripAdvisor etc.
This would be transparent and so everyone could see what others thought of a service. It could also be used to involve people in designing and improving services and holding local government (and others) to account.

40 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    tobybtobyb shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • tobybtobyb commented  · 

we've also been discussing this idea on the DotGovLab Innovation Hub (an online space for collaborative digital innovation in the public sector).
        it would be great to tie these two strands together - to help bridge between civil society and the public sector to take this idea forward.
        if you'd like an invite to join the Innovation Hub (it's open to anyone but you need an invite as it's still in a beta version) let me know and i'll send you one.
        toby

• tobybtobyb commented  · 

thanks for the comments...some thoughts in response from me:

@Andrew - i think this would have to focus (at least initially) on specific, individual services, so it wouldnt simply be a popularity contest (which ought to address your points about a vocal and intolerant majority).

@Annemarie - hmmmm, i dont know. i suspect it would (as above) need to start small and with simple/straightforward services...to get some 'quick wins' and prove value (generate some momentum). there's no doubt countless developments and spin offs from there!

@James - quite so (Urban Forum are about to publish some reserach we've just conducted on community groups' use of ICT & social media which looks at this). however, there are ways round this and just becuase people arent online doesnt mean we should avoid online stuff...it means we should offer more than one way of participating AND help people to get online. Both doable IMHO

:-)
        toby

• James DerounianJames Derounian commented  · 

Nice idea re Trip Adviser rankings; only concern I have = that not everyone has a computer.....
        James

• AnnemarieAnnemarie commented  · 

Great - wonder does this work as well for preventative services (based upon growing concern for related investment by government), and whether it could be developed to help overcome silo investment approaches by public bodies where collective action and shared 'reward/results' is an issue?

• Andrew ClimoAndrew Climo commented  · 

Theoretically great, but there is a big risk that most electors will be drawn to scoring issues such as pot holes and public toilets at the expense of mental health and youth services!!! Could this idea be modified to avoid judging 'apples vs. pears'?

The other thing that I find upsetting is that some people get very vocal and nasty about services that deliver to minority groups. Seen this head on with Roma/Traveller, Migrant Worker, Refugee and linguistic minorities. Could we build in some behavioural standards to prevent bigotry?

• Jon BeechJon Beech commented  · 

you would probably NOT be amazed to hear how much http://www.patientopinion.org.uk/ has really changed the priorities of local NHS trusts, and how many have set targets around media (inc social media) coverage of their outfits. it's brilliant. 3 votes from me

Feedback and Knowledge Base